Questions and Answers
Below you'll find answers to common questions potential clients ask of SKDesigns. We'd love to hear from you about your Web site needs.
Feel free to download the Questions and Answers FAQ (PDF) to use offline or for printing.
- Fees and Payments
- Scheduling, Time Frames
- Browsers, Standards, Accessibility, CSS, HTML, XHTML
- Content Updating
- More questions?
Fees and Payments
Nearly everyone inquiring about a new Web site, a redesign, or other Web site needs wants to know how much services cost and when and how payments are to be made.
How much will it cost?
- SKDesigns' services are competitively priced. Since every project is different, we'll need details about what you have in mind, after which we'll be happy to provide you with an estimate. See our Planning Your Web Site FAQ to see what information we'll need to provide you with an esimate.
- We base our estimates and proposals on how much time it will take to complete your project, additional materials needed (such as photos), based on the details we learn from you. In addition, if you let us know your budget, we'll provide an estimate that stays within or below it. See the next question below, Can SKDesigns work within your budget?
- There are no hidden fees or surprises, as we spell everything out in our contract after we've discussed the details of your needs.
- If you have a preference, we're happy to charge by the project or by time and materials for most projects.
Do you have a small project in mind, such as a few images to be optimized for the Web? We can provide estimates for that, too, of course.
Can SKDesigns work within your budget?
Have a specific budget to meet? Most companies and individuals do, and we take a realistic approach. We're experienced with tailoring our work to provide the best results within your budget needs. Let us know your budget and we'll tailor our estimate to stay within that.
What types of payments does SKDesigns accept?
SKDesigns accepts payments online via PayPal or by check. Checks may be made payable to SKDesigns and sent to:
5150 Fair Oaks Blvd., Suite 101
Carmichael, CA 95608
What is the payment schedule?
Payments are typically due in two to four parts:
- A deposit and signed contract are required before beginning our work together. The deposit is usually one-third to one-half of the total amount established in the contract.
- For larger projects or longer time frames, incremental payments could be due along the way, which would be defined in the contract.
- Upon completion of the Web site by SKDesigns, the final balance will be due and payable. As soon as final payment is received, the Web site files will be uploaded (via ftp) to the client's Web site.
- Additional work not included in our contract will be added to the balance. Payment in full is required prior to uploading the pages to your Web site (or sending the files to you via email or postal mail).
Scheduling, Time Frames
How long will it take?
Once SKDesigns has all your content in final form and a signed contract and deposit, a typical Web site will take about 30 days. Larger sites may take longer, and smaller sites may take less time.
- Time frames spelled out
The time frames for delivery of your content to SKDesigns and the steps along the way with the design process are written into our contract together. SKDesigns will work with you to establish realistic dates to complete our project with you in a timely manner.
- Content ready?
For Web site design and development projects, please note that it's important to have all your final version content ready to go. SKDesigns is happy to consult with you about content that you may need, including written content, images, logos, and related information. Once SKDesigns receives all your content in final form the Web site design and construction can begin. See also our Planning Your Web Site FAQ.
If you need something in a hurry, there might be a rush fee.
How soon can we start?
SKDesigns officially schedules projects upon receipt of the signed contract and deposit. Your content will also need to be ready to go by the dates agreed upon within our contract together.
It's common to have initial discussions about the project, work out the contract details, and schedule the project to begin a few weeks later to allow you to gather your content, images, and other materials needed. If you have all your content and materials ready now, we'll work out our schedule to get started sooner.
Perhaps you want to get started on gathering your content now, even though you may not be ready to start on the Web site project for a few months. SKDesigns is happy to schedule the project to begin several months from now, of course, upon receipt of a signed contract and deposit.
Browsers, Standards, Accessibility, CSS, HTML, XHTML
What about the quality behind-the-scenes? What about browsers?
Can SKDesigns create sites that will look good in any browser?
We have over 10 years of experience developing sites for a wide range of browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Opera, Netscape, Mozilla, and Safari. Our sites will also work across platforms, such as Windows PCs or Apple Macintosh computers.
We'll base the design and development on your target market while making sure your site works well and is fully accessible by even older browsers or text-only browsers or alternative devices.
Can SKDesigns create standards-compliant sites?
Yes. SKDesigns is an expert in creating standards-compliant Web sites, following W3C Recommendations for Web site markup since 1996. All the Web sites we create validate to W3C Recommendations upon completion.
Can SKDesigns create accessible sites based on W3C's WCAG, U.S. 508 Guidelines, or other accessibility requirements?
Yes. All the Web sites we create conform to WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines). Just like creating standards-based Web sites, we are experts at creating Web sites that are widely accessible and conform to W3C's WCAG. Upon request, we can also make sure your Web site also conforms to U.S. Section 508 Guidelines or other accessibility guidelines or requirements.
Does SKDesigns use style sheets, or CSS?
Yes. Style sheets provide a site's visual presentation. Their use is important for the site's development and easy visual maintenance. SKDesigns is an expert in using CSS effectively and developing stunning Web sites with their use that are easy to maintain. Visit our Portfolio's Web Site Design section for examples.
Keeping your content fresh and up-to-date is an important part of managing your Web site.
Can SKDesigns update content when needed after the site design is completed?
Yes, absolutely. We appreciate ongoing relationships with our clients. For ongoing site updating we typically just bill by the hour and send invoices once or twice a month.
Can SKDesigns create our site to manage updating ourselves?
Of course. SKDesigns can create or redesign your site so that you can easily update content yourself, even if you don't know any HTML. If you have any questions along the way, or if you need our services for image optimization, for example, we're still more than happy to assist.
Do you have other questions? Please contact us and let us know, and we'll happy to discuss your needs with you and answer your questions. We look forward to hearing from you.